Popeye knew what he was talking about: spinach is chock-full of vitamins A and C and a great source of essential minerals, including iron. It’s also a versatile green, with an easy-to-mask mild flavor that makes it a snap to hide from picky eaters. Here are five recipes packed with this super-nutritious cool-weather green:
- Epic Spinach Salad with Bacon, Egg and Blue Cheese Dressing. Everything tastes better with bacon! My hearty-enough-to-stand-alone salad puts leafy greens front and center but piles on the protein and flavor.
- Penne with Spinach Sauce. Goat cheese creates a creamy, tangy foundation for this simple vegetarian dish from Giada de Laurentis.
- Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Pine Nut Pesto. Spinach stands in for the old standby, basil, in this pesto recipe. Spread over grilled chicken, it’s healthy and yummy.
- Sauteed Shrimp with Spinach & Tomatoes. Author Amy Clark dishes up a simple stovetop dish perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
- Spinaci Alla Padella (Frying Pan). Michael Chiarello’s classic menu is a super-simple way to use spinach as a side dish – and a great recipe for garlic lovers.