Meagan Francis

Meagan Francis

White Ceramic Pot Complements Peace Lily

Peace lilies — which are not true lilies, but a member of the Araceae family of flowering plants – are renowned for their easy care. The peace lily is hardy, forgiving, and will even let you know when it is thirsty — look for the telltale droop. The shade-loving tropical plant is also known for its air-purifying abilities – it’s great at breaking down and neutralizing toxic gases like carbon monoxide and formaldehyde.

Grow Your Peace Lily in a Chic Container Like These 10 photos

Talk about looking out for you! While peace lilies are known for their resilience, following these easy peace lily care steps that will help yours thrive, not just survive:

• Light and Shade: Peace lilies love shade and some indirect light. A spot 5-7 feet away from a south- or west-facing window will often provide the right mix. Yellowing leaves, brown spots or streaks may mean that your plant is getting too much light, so try moving the plant a little further from the window or experiment with a new, less sunny location. Peace lilies can sometimes even do well under a fluorescent light without any sunlight at all! If you move your plant into a shadier location and its leaves are still brown, it may need a bit of misting on the leaves.
  • Temperature: Peace lilies like a consistent temperature between about 65 and 80 degrees F. Protect your plant from drafts and cold or drastic changes in temperature.
  • Fertilize: Spring and summer, use an organic fertilizer to help your plant bloom. Keep in mind that peace lilies are sensitive to chemical fertilizers, so organic options are best.
  • Water: Peace lilies like to be watered a lot at once, but also need a chance to dry out afterward. The plant will droop a bit when thirsty, telling you when it needs a drink! If you pay attention to when it usually starts to sag,  you can plan to water one day before it generally happens. Watering about once a week and spritzing leaves with water throughout the summer will help keep your peace lily hydrated. If your plant seems to completely droop, don’t give up: water and spritz and give it a chance to revive. If your water is chlorine-heavy, let a container of water stand overnight before watering the plant.
  • Drainage: Peace lilies are susceptible to root rot, so it’s very important to make sure the plant has a chance to dry out between waterings and that the container it lives in drains well. If your peace lily starts to wilt, check the roots to make sure they are firm and light-colored rather than soggy.
  • Transplant: When your plant’s roots show or your peace lily seems to be drinking up all its water within a few days, re-pot into a larger container. Your plant may need to be gradually moved into larger and larger containers, but generally peace lilies won’t need to go into a pot larger than 10 inches.

Expect your peace lily to show off its familiar white blooms in the spring. The plant is mildly toxic to animals and humans, so keep away from small children and Fluffy, and wash your hands after handling your plant as it produces crystals that can irritate skin. Follow these peace lily care tips and, with some experimentation, your peace lily should bring beauty to your house for years to come!

• Lacey Ross
    I do not think the plant is getting over crowded, as the plant takes up less than half of the pot. When I first put it in its current pot, which would have to a been last spring (2013), the plant was much larger than it is now. I made sure the pot was cleaned and sanitized before placing new soil, the same brand I have always used and use on all my other plants, and the plant inside. None of my plants are near heaters or AC units. As I have stated, I rarely fertilize that plant...just when I re-pot them. The problem seems to have started since placing it in the pot it is now. There is plenty of drainage holes, and it drains nicely. I always dump extra water from the pan at the bottom, as I don't want my animals to drink it. I have not other problems with my other plants, just this guy.

• Keri Lynn Friedl
    Mine is growing green flowers and existing white flowers have turned green! Help.

• Michael Conner
    Had 3 MASSIVE lilies that we divided and added homemade compost to the new pots...Have to say they are doing excellent and can't wait til the night temps are suitable to put them back outside. Am sure there will be a need to divide again after the Summer...To Keri...my experience with green flowers is too much water and not enough sun...

• Rosemary Sanders Ragan
    My Peace Lily is large and healthy looking, but the flowers are small and on short stems. It does bloom frequently. Any suggestions?

• MaryT
    I just re-potted my large peace lily from the store to a decorative pot twice the size it was and within a day it is showing signs of drooping leaves and starting to turn a lighter yellow. I have it outside under my door entrance. It doesn't get sun at all. Could it be in shock? I felt the soil and it's still moist. Please help!!!

• Heather
    I have a somewhat large peace lily I bought a few weeks ago for our new office to help scrub toxins from all of the new carpet, furniture, and paint from the air. I picked up a small one first and took it home as a test subject to ensure I wouldn't kill it (I tend to overwater, which I did at first and got brown leaf tips, but now that I wait for it to droop it seems to be doing fine despite having lost all of its flowers). The office plant is in a location with VERY bright fluorescent light and is about 15 feet from a wall of North-facing windows that stretches the entire length of the open office area, steady 74 degrees with little or no drafts. I water very gently once a week with chlorine-free water and discard any runoff. It seemed to be doing very well at first, but now the white flower "petals" are wilting along with the tips of the leaves, and it has multiple small green flowers coming in with twisted stems. Am I doing something wrong, or is this part of its natural growing cycle?

• Dawn Brow
    I received my Peace Lily from my grandfathers funeral. At the time it was very full, big and beautiful with several flowers. Its been since Feb 2014, and I've lost several leaves. It's still full but doesn't seem to be growing new leaves, and has not reflowered! I really love this plant and does have sentimental value to me. I water it with Miracle grow solution each time I water, which typically is when it droops. It seems to be in shady spot in my living room. I may move it to another side because it may receive a draft from my AC. I recently purchased stems for food and placed that in the soil. When the leaves die, and the flowers, I cut them off using scissors. Once the stem from the flower is able to be removed by hand from the leaf stem, I pluck them out. Any suggestions, I really want it to flower. Also, I purchased Orchid Food, and or its for all acid loving plants/flowers. Would I be able to utilize this in stead of regular miracle gro? Thank you for your help

• Blessingsmom Oneonefive
    I wish I could reply to specific peoples posts but I'll have to do a general one here instead. I've heard that a common cause of blooms being green when they open is too much fertilizer. Also, it is normal for the older blooms to turn green. Mary T, my reply is 3 months after yours and I fear your lovely plant is dead by now. It's important to repot most plants (especially those that don't like wet feet) into pots just an inch or two bigger than the previous pot. When you go too large the soil stays wet too long and the roots can rot due to not having the normal chance to dry a bit.

Posted 1 month ago

• anonymous
    My plant doesn't flower have had it since 2012 after my husband passed. I have repotted it but the leaves get dry looking and crumbly and aren't as big as in the beginning. Not sure of the problem, I water at least once a week. Any advice.

Posted 1 week ago

• anonymous
    I got a peace lily from my realter gift to me. Find out it roots were cureved up in a small 6 inches tall pot after 3 week leave turned brown it was To water I think.So I repoted it new soil and plant food it.Find out it was not get enough light move it in front of window for day light no sun light hit it.Do I let the soil top 2 touch go dry then water till moist and just keep it lightly water or have a self water glob do it for me ?Do I cut the leave off when all brown or what do I leave them will they die off what is best need help?Is mist spray the top of soil best from what I see on site.Need some help

Posted 7 days ago