Meagan Francis

Meagan Francis

White Ceramic Pot Complements Peace Lily

Peace lilies — which are not true lilies, but a member of the Araceae family of flowering plants – are renowned for their easy care. The peace lily is hardy, forgiving, and will even let you know when it is thirsty — look for the telltale droop. The shade-loving tropical plant is also known for its air-purifying abilities – it’s great at breaking down and neutralizing toxic gases like carbon monoxide and formaldehyde.

Grow Your Peace Lily in a Chic Container Like These 11 photos

Talk about looking out for you! While peace lilies are known for their resilience, following these easy peace lily care steps that will help yours thrive, not just survive:

• Light and Shade: Peace lilies love shade and some indirect light. A spot 5-7 feet away from a south- or west-facing window will often provide the right mix. Yellowing leaves, brown spots or streaks may mean that your plant is getting too much light, so try moving the plant a little further from the window or experiment with a new, less sunny location. Peace lilies can sometimes even do well under a fluorescent light without any sunlight at all! If you move your plant into a shadier location and its leaves are still brown, it may need a bit of misting on the leaves.
  • Temperature: Peace lilies like a consistent temperature between about 65 and 80 degrees F. Protect your plant from drafts and cold or drastic changes in temperature.
  • Fertilize: Spring and summer, use an organic fertilizer to help your plant bloom. Keep in mind that peace lilies are sensitive to chemical fertilizers, so organic options are best.
  • Water: Peace lilies like to be watered a lot at once, but also need a chance to dry out afterward. The plant will droop a bit when thirsty, telling you when it needs a drink! If you pay attention to when it usually starts to sag,  you can plan to water one day before it generally happens. Watering about once a week and spritzing leaves with water throughout the summer will help keep your peace lily hydrated. If your plant seems to completely droop, don’t give up: water and spritz and give it a chance to revive. If your water is chlorine-heavy, let a container of water stand overnight before watering the plant.
  • Drainage: Peace lilies are susceptible to root rot, so it’s very important to make sure the plant has a chance to dry out between waterings and that the container it lives in drains well. If your peace lily starts to wilt, check the roots to make sure they are firm and light-colored rather than soggy.
  • Transplant: When your plant’s roots show or your peace lily seems to be drinking up all its water within a few days, re-pot into a larger container. Your plant may need to be gradually moved into larger and larger containers, but generally peace lilies won’t need to go into a pot larger than 10 inches.

Expect your peace lily to show off its familiar white blooms in the spring. The plant is mildly toxic to animals and humans, so keep away from small children and Fluffy, and wash your hands after handling your plant as it produces crystals that can irritate skin. Follow these peace lily care tips and, with some experimentation, your peace lily should bring beauty to your house for years to come!

• anonymous
    I got a peace lily from my realter gift to me. Find out it roots were cureved up in a small 6 inches tall pot after 3 week leave turned brown it was To water I think.So I repoted it new soil and plant food it.Find out it was not get enough light move it in front of window for day light no sun light hit it.Do I let the soil top 2 touch go dry then water till moist and just keep it lightly water or have a self water glob do it for me ?Do I cut the leave off when all brown or what do I leave them will they die off what is best need help?Is mist spray the top of soil best from what I see on site.Need some help

• anonymous
    I have a peace lily in my office, I have the fluorescent lights in my office. I have sometimes come in to it drooped all the way down to the top of the dirt. Now I was able to get it popped back up. I have noticed after this last time the stem of some of the leaves had bent and at the bent spot it bent at is brown and the stem is still bent. Do I need to pull those leaves off or can I repair the stem?

• anonymous
    I have had my peace lily for 12 years. I made the mistake of putting it into too large of a pot shortly after getting it. (Several plants in a 10" pot, I moved them to a 16" pot.) About 5 months ago, I moved the pot to a room with lots of indirect morning sun. Each week, I rotate the pot 90 degrees and put in about 1/2 gallon of water. This seems to work pretty well. I still have a few leaves with brown/drying spots, but it blooms well. Now it has 10 blooms (half green, rest white), the most ever since I got it.

• WizeAker
    Let's try this again. I received a peace lily for Moms funeral, just in September. I am determined to not lose this plant...or any of the plants she has had for years...after losing her. I transplanted it (from the 6in starter pot) to a 10in pot, which may have been too big of a leap from the information and comments I am now reading. I used water-control Miracle Grow potting soil. The plant is droopy, though I have been following all the other recommendations. It is in indirect North light. I water it thoroughly only when it gets even more droopy and the soil tends to stay moist, not soggy. The leaves are yellowish, part of the time, with a few browning leaves. I tend to cut these off once they get so brown. It still produces new growth, and has occasional blooms. It just looks bad. My bff, Sister, says maybe I just got a bad specimen. I am just thoroughly sickened with how bad it looks. I am struggling with grief. The loss of this plant...would be too much. What are chances someone will respond!? Thanks...

• WizeAker
    I really do wish we could comment on individual posts...it could definitely benefit us all!!!

• peacemagic
    I'm not sure what happened to my last post will my peace lily come back from a temp drop my heater went out we are fixing it and last couple days took a toll on her so I moved her to my room with my space heater. ♡ the picture in my profile is her when she was looking amazing everyone loves her.

• WizeAker
    peacemagic...I have trouble posting, too. Your lily should come back, if it was only a temporary drop in temperature. Moving her in with the space heater was a good idea. I actually have my aunts funeral lily on my back porch which is used to the cool winter temps out there...even down to 30s...and it has survived for several years in the same spot with extreme summer highs and winter lows (surrounded by North and East windows on an enclosed back porch). Moms funeral lily is quite another story. I am still struggling to keep it alive with consistent temperatures, and consistent indirect North sunlight. Oy! I am beginning to believe my bff, Sister, was correct...that I got a bad specimen. It truly breaks my heart. peacemagic...It's been two days. I hope you will update me with her condition. I wish you well with her.

• anonymous
    Leaves turning brown on my peace plant

Posted 1 month ago

• anonymous
    I received a potted plant in 2008 after my father's death. I've had no problems keeping it alive, but my question is why is this the first time I've ever seen blooms? Researching it, I just now determinedit was a peace lolly. I just thought it was a simple potted plant

Posted 1 month ago

• anonymous
    I have two peace plants in bette bowls one is realy wilted tho other one getting bad also they are in a window the the sun comes in the morning but there is a curtain there so its not direct what am i doind wrong

Posted 2 weeks ago

Grow Guide: Drunk Daffodils

Grow Guide: Drunk Daffodils

Learn how to use alcohol to shorten the flower stalks without killing the bulbs outright.