Meagan Francis
Split Avocado with Seed Pit Displayed
Avocado, or Persea americana, has an edible seed with a pit inside that can propagate itself in water.

Chances are good you already have some experience with how to grow an avocado. It’s easy and fun to coax the large, hard stone at the center of this green fruit to sprout, which is probably why it’s a popular classroom activity!

Of course, getting an avocado pit to sprout is one thing; growing it into a fruit-bearing tree is quite a bit more work! However, many gardeners enjoy growing avocado trees as a decorative houseplant or as part of their landscaping. Wondering if that tree might one day yield yummy avocados (Also See: Can You Freeze Avocados?) is just part of the fun.

Here’s how to start:

Avocado Plant Grown from Rooted Pit
  1. Remove the large pit (seed) from inside an avocado, rinse well, and dry (a wet seed will be slippery!).
  2. Push three or four toothpicks into the seed at its widest part so that you can suspend the pit over a glass of water with the pointy end sticking up. The water should cover about an inch of the seed.
  3. Put in a warm place and make sure to maintain the water level.
  4. In 2-6 weeks, roots and a stem will sprout from the seed. When the stem is about six inches long, trim it in half.
  5. When the stem leafs again, transplant the seedling to a pot with loose, sandy soil. Plant the seedling root down, leaving the top half of the pit sticking out of the soil.
  6. Give your plant frequent, light watering and keep it in a sunny place to encourage growth.
  7. Pinch back the newest top leaves every time the stems grow another six inches or so to encourage more growth and a fuller plant.

Fruit Trees You Can Grow in Pots 14 photos

In most regions, the avocado plant can stay outside in summer. If you live in a warm climate that does not experience temperatures less than 45 degrees F, you may want to make your avocado tree part of your landscaping by moving the plant outside permanently:

• For best results, transplant in the early spring, after gradually acclimating your plant to the elements by bringing it outside for a while each day for a week or two.
  • Plant in a large hole (about 3 feet wide by 3 feet deep) in well-drained soil, in an area that receives plenty of indirect sunlight.
  • Water regularly, but don’t over-water (you’ll know you’re watering too much if your plant’s leaves turn yellow.)

Now just sit back and get ready to guac 'n' roll! It can take anywhere from 5 – 13 years for an avocado plant to bear fruit, and some never do. But in the meantime, you’ll have a beautiful tree to enjoy.

• anonymous
    65 avocados a day?

• anonymous
    Why do you trim the seedling in half?

• anonymous
    My avocado plant has been growing in water for about 6 months and has grown to about 30cm with a tird set of leaves currently springing out on top. However the leaves are getting curly and also thinner - Is it too late to pot the plant in soil?

• anonymous
    I live in Alaska & got my seed to sprout, transplanted to a pot. Now its a toot tall. I love it.

• anonymous
    Trimming it in half promotes hardier fuller growth. It encourages the plant to produce more shoots and a strong stem. It also helps make it more tolerant to stress. I have 4 now that we grew from last year's super bowl guacamole.

• anonymous
    I have one that is about 3 months old in the window sill in water. It sent out a toot about 6 weeks ago an I can see green where the pit has cracked open, but it seems to have stagnated there. I is still green but ha never sent out active foliage. Should I transplant it into soil and give it more sun or leave it in the water?

• anonymous
    Leave it, mine took 8 weeks until the stem started to grow, it goes fairly quickly once it starts. The root though is at least 6 inches long in the water. I had to put into a tall drinking glass to accomidate.

• anonymous
    I have been following these directions to grow my avacado seed. My seed is in a jar full of water and It grew a root which I cut in half about 4 weeks ago. It has grown 4 new roots. The stem has grown and it is 5 inches tall. I was wondering if I should cut that stem in half?

Posted 1 month ago

• anonymous
    You don't cut the roots in half, you leave them, it's the stem that you cut in half once it reaches 6 inches.

Posted 3 weeks ago

• anonymous
    I have been growing an avocado tree for about 6 months now and it was doing good and all of a sudden the leaves started turning brown at the ends and drying out, but there is a new start coming out of the top of the tree. I haven't changed anything about the tree. It always been inside when it gets sun and and watered regularly and never over watered. What could i do to prevent the leaving from die even more or the hole tree die?

Posted 2 weeks ago

12 Easy Edibles

12 Easy Edibles

Fill your family garden with these easy-to-grow, kid-friendly fruits and vegetables.