Summer peaches inspire a wide array of fresh new recipes. This versatile fruit, while delicious and nutritious on its own, can be used in sweet or savory dishes. The dessert potential is seemingly endless.
You may not have considered it before, but grilling fruit is a great way to bring out some additional flavor and add depth. Peaches are a great candidate for the grill as they hold their shape as long as your fruit is not too ripe. Add grilled peaches to your favorite chicken dish for some real flair...or how about dessert?
This grilled peach ice cream is simple to make and the flavor is outstanding. There is grilled peach puree in the base and some chunks added in at the last minute for extra texture. Don’t worry if you don’t have a grill. This can be made on a grill pan on the stove or, as a last resort, you can broil the peaches flesh side up just a few inches away from the heat.
- 5 peaches
- ¼ cup peach preserves
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- Pinch salt
- Quarter the peaches by cutting all the way around from top to bottom. Remove the pit. Cut the halves in half again.
- Lightly coat the grilling surface with cooking oil. Place the peach quarters on the grill flesh side down over medium high heat. After a minute or two, turn the slices about 45 degrees and cook a minute or two more. Flip the peach quarters to the other fleshy side and repeat the grilling process. Grill marks should be diamond shape and dark golden brown.
- Place 12 of the grilled quarters, peach preserves, sugar and ½ cup of the half and half in a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add vanilla bean and seeds, processed peach, and remaining ingredients to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon (about 5-7 minutes).
- Strain the mixture into a bowl and cover. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Process the mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Chop the remaining grilled peach quarters into ½” slices. When the ice cream has processed, fold in the grilled peach chunks. Place in the freezer with plastic wrap pressed directly on the surface and then covered again. Allow ice cream to freeze completely before serving.