Ask & Share: Landscaping and Hardscaping

Wondering about a grass seed called Cutting Edge grass seed. Do you know anything about it?

On their web site they said it was on HGTV/DIY Network – I Want That!, I would like to know thoughts on it before I buy as I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

25 Replies

• B. Nicholas Graham
    As you can see in this picture. I used the seed for overseeding a lawn that was not growing in right. I had huge patches of no grass. I used the cutting edge grass seed, and was shocked at how good it worked. It is pricey. In that the two bags I paid for (yes, paid for both right before their promotion bogo) were really small and cost a lot. But in their defense this is the first grass that worked right here. As you can see in the picture the grass on the left was the established good grass. The right was a bare spot that got overseeding. This is 2 weeks growth with no starter fertilizer of any kind *(getting some soon been on the to do list)... Anyways as you can see it is growing in in the right thickness, just will take more time to get established. I'm very happy with the amount of see that took. Very close together the blades to each other, etc. My .02

• B. Nicholas Graham
    I don't know why my pictures won't upload... darn site

• HGTVMallory
    I'm going to look into this B. Nicholas. You shouldn't have any issues uploading photos!

• MyBack Achers
    Hi B Nicholas- I would imagine it would sprout fast. In reading the label, it contains rye. Rye typically sprouts in 1-3 days on all but the coolest of soils. The problem I have in any product that uses rye is that rye gives off an anti-sprouting agent so whatever it is mixed with is hindered from sprouting. It's often used as a filler in seed mixes because of its fast results.

• Flora
    Cutting Edge grass seed is a great product! If you go to www.mikesgrowersoutlet.com you can get a distributor who will ship out immediately with no handling fees. You only pay postage. You can also call them and talk to them about the product. They have a lot of feedback and experience growing this grass. They also have links on the website to more info on this product.

• john m
    I like what i'm hearing about the cutting edge grass seed. I have'nt heard anything about how well it helps with weed control. I live across the street from a park and the breeze usually blows from the park towards my home here in Oregon. It's a constant battle. Do'es this seed really help.

• National Gardening Association
    Regardless of the type of grass seed you're growing, the most effective way to keep weeds out is to give your lawn the proper care that results in dense, healthy turf. A dense stand of grass that is mown high will give weed seeds little space to germinate and will shade out most weed seeds that do sprout. Sparse, closely cropped turf will give weed seeds plenty of opportunity to grow.

• Laura Daniels
    Any word on success of Cutting Edge year-round in Central West Coast Florida???

• National Gardening Association
    Laura, Cutting Edge grass is a mix of cool-season grasses, mainly Kentucky bluegrass. Cool-season grasses are not adapted to your part of the country. Warm-season grasses such as St.Augustinegrass are adapted to your climate. Here's a link to some info from Polk County Master Gardeners on turf grasses that are best suited to central Florida: http://polkmastergardener.ifas.ufl.edu/faqs/turfgrass_central_florida.shtml

• A J
    I have lived if Orlando since 1990. I do landscpaping Pretty much the only grass you can grow is St. Augustine and Bahia since they can the heat. I am going to resod my brothers back yard and he wanted to know if we could use this seed ofcourse he cant. For all the Floridans If you use St. Augustine you have to have a sprikller system and mow year round. If you use Bahia no water system needed and dont have to mow from November till March but a couple of times

Discussions About Landscape and Hardscape